Sunday, August 26, 2012

Never doubt a Girl Scout!

It's an exciting right of passage, the very first...first day of school.  This year for us it was all the excitement times two.  My niece and nephew started kindergarten this past Wednesday.  My phone was close by because I had given my sister strict instructions to text me pictures of the kiddos, or else she was going to be in big trouble!  We couldn't wait to hear all their tales from their first adventure in school.  Charli and I made the drive out to my mom's Friday after school to see the family and visit my sister and the kids.

Charli, Alyssa and Nicky are tight as ticks.  There is nearly 5 years between Tracy's twins and my daughter.  The little ones really look up to Charli.  While we were visiting, Charli decided she and the twins were going to go on an adventure in the great outdoors.  We adults just played along and laid down a few ground rules.  Charli packed their backpack and off they went to slay dragons, or rescue animals caught in imaginary traps. A little while later, with red faces, the three amigos came trudging back inside because they were hot.  Charli began to empty the backpack.  On to my mother's living room floor she dumped 2 applesauce cups, spoons for the applesauce, 3 granola bars, a roll of toilet paper, a box of band-aids and a bottle of water.  We all giggled and Charli went on to explain why each was needed. The toilet paper was needed to wipe the blood off in case they got cut on a stick and band-aids to keep the cut from getting infected. She only packed two applesauce cups because she "isn't a fan of applesauce", and she was rationing the water.  I was so proud of my little girl scout. 

Girls Scouts has been wonderful for Charli.  We have an amazing group of girls and most of them have known each other since preschool.  I am so proud to be a part of such a wonderful troop, and that Charli is learning the skills to help her prepare for all lifes adventures...the real ones and the imaginary ones too.

2 comments:

  1. love love love this story! I can see her saying the words too! You are quite the storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie...Lord knows Charli gives me a lot to work with.

    ReplyDelete